Sunday, February 18, 2007

SXSW 2007: Big Bloc 4

It's always exciting when South by Southwest announces its schedule and posts songs by many of the bands that will be appearing at the festival. I just spent several--okay, six--pleasant hours making my way through the entire list from Aa to zZz (I skipped +/- because they didn't provide a sample mp3). I admit I didn't listen to every single song. Certain categories didn't really interest me, not yet at least. But I did give ear to everything labelled rock and pop that I didn't already know, plus a few others. I actually want to go back and listen to a few more categories, but I've compiled a list of a couple hundred tunes that I liked. The eternal question at a blog: to post only a few at a time or post the whole lot? I know it's daunting to see a long list, so if you're interested, you might only want to sample a few at a time. Hopefully they'll be here for awhile. SXSW seems to leave them posted semi-permanently, as I showed with my recent posts for SXSW 2005 and SXSW 2006. Anyway, enough chatter, let's to the tunes. I begin with the ones that comport most closely with two of the three terms at the masthead of this blog: powerpop and indie. I've got a bunch more, especially of the indie variety, but most of those have pp tendencies. I'll be posting some of them over the next couple of days. Here are a stingy baker's three dozen. Links are provided to the SXSW band sites.

Air Traffic - Charlotte mp3
The Apples in Stereo - Energy mp3
The ArkOne of Us Is Gonna Die Young mp3
The Awkward StageHeaven is for Easy Girls mp3
Bang GangFind What You Get mp3
The Breakup SocietyRobin Zander mp3
Broadfield MarchersKingdom for Lions mp3
The Capitol YearsYou Can Stay There mp3
The ComasNew Wolf mp3
The DagonsIt Flies Out mp3
E>K>U>KKeMo Thera-P mp3
ElectricoLove in New Wave mp3
Elemeno P - 1157 mp3
The EndsNice Quiet You mp3
The Explorers Club - Forever mp3
FernandoHoward Hughes mp3
Future Clouds and RadarQuicksilver mp3
The GearEight Arms to Hold You mp3
Going HomeAct 7, Scene 8 mp3
GoldenboySummer of the Evening mp3
The Jellydots - Bicycle mp3
The Little OnesLovers Who Uncover mp3
Los Abandoneda la mode mp3
Luminous Orange - EverySingleChild mp3
The MoogI Like You mp3
Paul Collins Beat - Helen mp3
Patrick PikeBeautiful Thing mp3
Pop LeviSugar Assault Me Now mp3
The ProcessionMajor and Minor mp3
StarkyHey Bang Bang mp3
The SternsSupreme Girl mp3
The TeethTrumpet Blared mp3
WinterpillsBroken Arm mp3
The Yoko CasionosLoose Cannon mp3
The ZebrasYou Look Ready mp3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great list and the MP3s are a power pop fans delight! Start your downloads....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...