Saturday, January 19, 2008

Mezzanine Owls: Mighty Fine Hooters

I loved gazy Angelenos, Mezzanine Owls, as soon as I heard “Lightbulb” last spring and sent “you” over to 3hive to share the pleasure. My friend chadio featured them on Citizen Snob Radio, and I quickly got on their mailing list. This eventually resulted in permission from singer/songwriter Jack Burnside to post the nice pair below from their excellent debut, Slingshot Echoes, which I bought at iTunes (clicky clicky) and heartily recommend. (The rest of the parliament includes Dan Horne, Pauline Mu, and Jonathan Zeitlin.) I’m also delighted to find their Snowglobe/Temporary Health 7” is due out in February. Spinner.com had "Snow Globe" as Free MP3 of the Day yesterday, so click here, if you like. The Owls cite Jesus and Mary Chain, Ride, My Bloody Valentine, The Kinks, Yo La Tengo, R.E.M., The Cure, Neil Young, The Silver Jews, The Go-Betweens and “about a billion other things” as influences. I don’t know about the billion others, but the ten named are firmly in my wheelhouse. I don’t really know what a wheelhouse is, but those are mighty righteous influences. Come to think of it, I’m not quite sure what a mezzanine owl is, either. Note to self: Ask Jack?

Mezzanine Owls - Slingshot Echoes


Mezzanine Owls - Slingshot Echoes

Okay, here's a wheelhouse. I realize I do have one, but it doesn't look like this.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...