Friday, February 02, 2007

Heyday Revisited: Material Issue

In case you're new to this blog, for several weeks now I've been posting three or four favorites per week from the late 80s/early 90s. This was a heyday of musical discovery for me, hence the incredibly clever title of the series. Chicagoans Material Issue were definitely one of my favorite bands from the era, producing pure powerpop produced (on two albums) by fellow Hoosier Jeff Murphy, member of one of the purest of all powerpop bands, Shoes. (I've posted about Shoes here, here, and here.) As usual, I'll let the music do the talking. Read a good summary of Material Issue here, sample and buy here and here. "Renee Remains the Same" is off their debut full-length, International Pop Overthrow. The song is posted for one week. (There are lots of links in this paragraph, so hover and discover.)

Material Issue - International Pop Overthrow - Renee Remains the Same

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was a youth the tune "Valerie Loves Me" totally owned me for a couple weeks. Sadly underrated band.

pplist said...

I can see why "Valerie" owned you. I like that one, too. An underrated band with a tragic end, which I didn't want to go into. Thanks for your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...