Thursday, April 05, 2007

Von Robinson and His Own Universe

I do not pretend to omniscience when it comes to powerpop, indie, or any other life force. I’m learning all the time and trying to pass on the thimbleful I know to whomever wants to partake thereof. No doubt the cogniscenti could name several dozen artists who seamlessly combine “powerpop” with “ulism,” but this is one of the few I’ve come across who pull it off so well. Von Robinson suggested in an email that my blog and his music – which he characterizes as “socio-poli-indie-pop” - are more or less made for each other. One listen convinced me he’s right. True, I haven’t been particularly political here so far, nor do I plan to anytime soon. I am content to seduce and get you hooked on the hot tuneage before we begin to explore our vision of world conquest-cum-domination - of, by, and for the people, of course. These are the early days. There is time and plenty of it. Where was I? Oh, yes. They/he are called “Von Robinson and His Own Universe,” and he/they combine irresistible lyricism with thought-provoking lyrics (check the latter here). Thought-provoking powerpop. What a concept.

Von Robinson and His Own Universe - JOSTLE IT!#¢ EP
XXXtraordinary Rendition mp3
Satellites and Totem Poles mp3
Polaroid Lenses mp3

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Von Robinson + His own Universe are a powerful and a welcome voice in the wilderness. Von is writing about what many of us are thinking and the music delivers the messages in a way we can digest... nothing heavy handed,telling-it-like-it-is..with a tremendous amount of positivity!

and beyond all that they're a total hoot!!!

Robert Weinstein
Brooklyn, New York

Anonymous said...

It's great to see VR&HOU on your blog. I've been to many of their shows and they rock!

pplist said...

You're lucky, then. It's great to see the Universe expanding!

pplist said...

To Robert: I couldn't agree more. I would like to encourage visitors to click through to VR&HOU's band and MySpace sites. The insight - and hoot inducement - are abundant.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...